Cycling Kangaroo - Other: Whale Watching Sydney

Whale Watching Sydney

July 16, 2006

After rain, rain, rain in Sydney, (but, NOOOOO, not over the catchment area) Sunday arvo was fine and sunny (albeit cold). Dilys, Marlene, Cathy and I went out whale watching today, so here's a little photo journal of our day.

A lovely sunny day but a bit chilly. Wendy, Dilys & Marlene enjoying the sunshine.

All rugged up and ready to go!

Heading out from Darling Harbour, we went past Pier One and then under the bridge.

Under the bridge and towards the 'ol Opera House

The Opera House from the harbour....

Heading out of the city...

The sailing boats were out on the harbour in force

No spinnakers in sight, but many boats under sail.

Must be a good wind....

This guy whizzed past us!

After a while we get to the end of the harbour and go out through the Heads.

The water a tad rougher but really quite calm.

Hmmm, these digital cameras are too slow! That's an Albatross taking off at the left edge of the photo.

Rats! Missed again, but the whale was "that-a-way"

Ahh, there he is! A Humpback.

Lucky Cathy's trigger finger was a bit quicker than mine for the first whale. Here he is waving goodbye.

Yep, that one photo was it for me, so now we're heading south.

Thar she blows!

More success with our second lot of whales. . .

Lots of tail slapping. . .

A bit of a flip for Cathy

. . .nice scenery. . .

. . .and more tails. . .

The dorsal fin, but still no smiles for the camera. . .

Ummm, I'm really not sure what this bit is, but I'm pretty sure it's not a whale smiling at me!

An enjoyable day with lots of big smiles!

Sun is setting and it's time to go home. . .

More big smiles!

Heading home...

Wendy, Cathy & Marlene

Wendy, Dilys & Marlene

Dilys, Marlene & Cathy

As the sun sets slowly over the city. . .

Luna Park! Been a long, long time since I've been there!

The sun glistening off the buildings of North Sydney

Pier One and the Habour Bridge in a completely different light.

As the sun sets, the city lights up, and we have to head home.

A good time was had by all. The whale watching experience wasn't a patch on what we had in W.A., but we knew that we were really lucky that day. Regardless the day was magical.